Monday, August 24, 2009

One Pocket Weekend

Well OTR decided to sponsor Scott Frost in the AZ State One Pocket Championship at Kolby's this weekend. The tourney drew 36 players I believe and some good talent out of Cali came to play. Scott was not who he normally is, seeming to be too relaxed and not killing the other guys like he usually does. He took 3rd losing twice to Mitch Ellerman who went on to win 5-2 against Mike Pankoff. I really like Mikes game and his style, really plays the game well. Mitch played very well also and it is nice to see a young guy like himself who is a real good guy win it. I cannot deny I was rooting for Scott in this as I took him against the field when it got down to about 7 or 8 players left and he was on the losers side but no one is invincible. I do think Scott played poorly both times he lost and even in other matches where he won but I am sure he knows this. I do hope that he does well in Galveston and takes down the $25,000 first place prize, that would be awesome for him.

As for me my action this weekend was limited, I played one guy 10-6 and won 3 games in a row and he quit. I played a tourney that was an 8 and under and cashed coming in 4th place along with splitting the side pots. Got to beat Jude aka badcompany in the tourney 5-2 which is always nice since the last 2 times in tournament play he beat me badly but I am still 3-0 gambling with him. I was hoping we could match up for some $50 a game one pocket but he did not have his cue and its understandable not to play without your weapon, I have done it and it really can be a handicap. I backed Bobby E in some one pocket action at $50 a game and he broke even, if that kid develops some patience he will be a very good one pocket player. All in all it was a fun weekend with some great one pocket played, the DCT put on a good tourney and I am really shocked more players did not come out and play for this, last year had a dozen more players in it.

No comments: