Monday, September 1, 2008

Preacher Ronn's One Pocket Invitational

This is an event I have thought of streaming and when I spoke with Ronn the weekend prior at Bullshooter he was happy to have me there and thought it was great idea.I was uncertain whether I would play in the event as I have to stream it and streaming takes alot to do and keep an eye on,big distraction when your trying to play,plus I had one hour of sleep since I got home at 7am from a 10 hour session at the poolhall of gambling.San Jose Dick stopped by and said he was putting me in and could not turn down his offer.

I played my first match against a guy named Mike and beat him in 2-1 in the race to 2 double elimination format,he was not too happy and said I was lucky mainly because he got bad rolls and scratched,the only thing I could think was he was lucky I only had an hour sleep and didn't make him pay for his mistakes like I should have.My next opponent was Rick Cosman and he played great,it was tough match and after Rick scratched I ran the 6 balls I needed for the win and took the set 2-1.

The next match I had was with Preacher Ronn himself,this guy is a great one pocket player and gives alot of A players 2 balls in one hole.He had to give me a spot in the tourney of 10-8,the previous 2 matches were even but I knew the 2 ball spot wasn't going to be huge and he could outrun it.He beat me the first game on his break and I beat him the 2nd rack,they were both down to the wire.The 3rd rack I started putting balls by my pocket when the score was 5-4 in his favor,I set a trap and got some good rolls,he made a mistake and I got the score to 6-5 in my favor.With the ball in my pocket that I banked he tried to jump the ball off the table while making my ball at the same time so the balls would spot,he miscued and conceded the game to me.I felt great to win and played solid to win against one of AZ's top one hole players.

My next match was for the hot seat against Arizona 14.1 State Champion Bernie Pettipiece,he just got back from the World's 14.1 in NJ.He had to give me 11-8 and I lost the match 2-0 ,the first rack was a grind but then I saw a dead ball if I kicked the stack right it would give me the ball and the win but I hit the stack wrong lost.The second rack I played badly and gave him an easy win.He is a great player and a real gentleman,we talked and I think I have someone to get some knowledge from and we will be playing once a week.

I was guaranteed 3rd at this point and was happy with how I performed but had no energy to beat Rick Cosman to get into the finals with Bernie and played horribly so Rick coasted to the finals where he lost 2-1 against Bernie.Both of these players I enjoyed playing and they play great and are true gentleman who praised my play.I did get to play Bernie,Ronn and others while we were waiting for some matches and one some games against these players even which showed me I can play with them even though I am the underdog,but I wont go into my pocket thinking I have a chance at gambling with them.

The fun had just begun though as we were at Kolbys in Tempe which always has action going and I got to see San Jose Dick,Jimmy the owner,Jeff Thomas and Ronn play some partners golf on the pool table.Ronn and Jimmy stepped out after several hour of play but the die hards stayed in,74 year old Dick stayed in playing Jeff Thomas $100 a game $10 a hicky.He played for 25 hours total as he came in for the one hole at about 11am and and was there til noon the next day playing Jeff!I was there until about 8 am and got 3 sets of action playing a 9 some ever 9 ball,I am rated an 8,he quit after I wont 3 sets.

All in all it was alot of fun and for my birthday weekend as mine is today,Monday September 1st it was all I could have wanted,a good finish in my first one pocket tournament and alot of action!My next stream will most likely be some action challenge matches,perhaps my best friend and gambling/tourney partner Jay Smith Aka Southern Jay/Jay Burner.Well I am off to enjoy my birthday today and have alot of fun I hope,29 years young!

Fast Lenny

No comments: