Saturday, August 2, 2008

Joe Sabia

I have been thinking alot of my friend Joe who passed a few months back,he was my mentor,best friend and the closest I have ever had to a father figure.He taught me how to play pool,bringing me from a D player to a B player in what seemed like 6 months.We would run around to tourneys together playing pool and poker in all types of places.He passed at 62 years old but didn't act a day over 25,he was alot of fun to be around with tons of energy,he was alive!

I was so stunned when I got the call of his passing,I talked to him on a Friday letting him know I would be coming to NY to visit and would see him in a week and that Sunday I got the call and just couldn't believe it.The man who had given so much to me was gone,he sounded fine so I still do not get it and it still seems very unreal to me.I flew to NY early to go to his wake where there were so many people there and all the pictures from his past when he was in his 20s and 30s,it was cool to see the pictures of him back in his day during the 60s and 70s.I can only wish that one day me and him will meet again for one more pool game,one more heads up poker game,and one more conversation,til we meet again Joe.

No comments: